Finance Bill Published

20th July saw the publication of the draft clauses of Finance Bill 2022. Whilst there will inevitably be more announcements made at the autumn budget, there are two clauses in particular that stand out.
Firstly, the confirmation that the minimum age for accessing a pension plan is to increase from 55 to 57 in 2028. There will be exemptions for certain types of employee, including police officers and members of the fire service.
Secondly, Watch out for self-employed – changes ahead
To prepare for MTD for income tax there have been some simplifications made in 2022/23. For that year and all subsequent years, trading profits and losses will be reported on a tax year basis. According to HMRC, the majority of sole traders already prepare accounts to 31 March or 5 April, but roughly a third of partnerships do not, and so these are likely to be affected most.
Who does this affect?
Unincorporated businesses (sole-traders, partnerships, and limited liability partnerships) whose accounting year does not end between 31st March and 5th April.
What is the present position?
For a particular tax year, you are normally taxed on the net profit per the accounts which end in that tax year.
Example of the Present Position
Tim has been self-employed for several years and draws up accounts to 30th April each year. 
His accounts to 30/04 2021 show net profit of £30,000. That is taxable in the 2021/22 tax year.
What may change?
The Government intend that all self-employed will pay tax and national insurance based upon net profit aligned to the tax year itself and not the accounting year end. 
Do I have to move my accounting date?
No, you can retain your present accounting year end if you want.
However, if the change comes into effect, for tax purposes, you will need to report your self-employed income and expenditure incurred based upon the tax year and not your accounting year end.  
When may this change happen?
This may come into effect for the 2022/23 tax year (i.e. from 6th April 2022). 
This would be known as the transitional tax year where you are moving away from the old rules to the new ones.
So that the tax hit is not extremely high in the 2022/23 tax year, there may be special transitional rules to spread the additional tax burden over 5 tax years.
Why are they considering this to happen?
Making Tax Digital for Income Tax for the self-employed and property landlords, with a turnover in excess of £10K, starts in April 2023.
Under Making Tax Digital, you will be expected to keep digital business records and submit digital reports on a quarterly basis to HM Revenue & Customs regarding your business income and expenditure.
The intention is for all self-employed to be taxed in the same way by April 2023 in time for it to align with the Making Tax Digital quarterly reporting dates.
In what way could this change affect me?
If your self-employment profits are rising, you could find yourself with a significant increase in your tax bill, above and beyond what you would normally expect to pay, in January 2024 and also July 2024.
You may have ‘overlap relief’ which could help mitigate this tax problem.
What is ‘overlap relief’?
This can occur when you have an accounting date ending other than between 31st March and 5th April.
It usually arises at the time when you first commence self-employment, resulting in the same profit being taxed twice, once in the first tax year and again in the second tax year of trading.
The profit which is taxed twice is then noted as ‘overlap relief’. 
Overlap relief can be carried forward and, in this case, reduce your net profit, for tax purposes, when looking at your 2022/23 tax year position.
The overlap relief is likely to be quite small as profits in the early years of self-employment are usually low.
Here is an example of the potential impact
Judy has been self-employed for many years and draws up accounts to 30th April
Her profits for the account’s year ended 30/04/2022 are £55,000
Her profits for the account’s year ended 30/04/2023 are £66,000
Judy’s overlap relief brought forward is £20,000.
Judy is single and has no other income.
The profits for the 2022/23 tax year are as follows;
  1. Accounts year ended 30/04/2022 £55,000 plus
  2. Transitional element – 01/05/2022 to 5/04/2023 – £66,000 x 11/12 = £60,500 less
  3. Overlap relief (£20,000)
  4. Total profits for 2022/23 is £95,500
  5. Those profits, which under current rules would not normally be taxed in 2022/23 - (£95,500 - £55,000) =  £40,500
  6. Under the transitional rules, it is proposed that the excess profit of £40,500 is spread equally over 5 tax years, starting with the 2022/23 tax year - £40,500/5 years = £8,100. 
  7. The minimum taxable profit in 2022/23 is £55,000 + £8,100 = £63,100
Assuming tax and national insurance rates stay as they are, Judy’s 2022/23 tax and national insurance bill moves from £13,190 under the present rules to £16,592 under the proposed new rules. Nearly a 26% increase!!
What should I do?
Contact us to see if this proposed change may affect you and to consider whether it is worthwhile, or not, to align your accounts to the tax year.
Put together a projection of forthcoming profits with for us to estimate the impact. Monitor that projection going forward.
Set aside sufficient funds to meet the January/July 2024 liability.
Submit your records to us as soon as possible after 05/04/2023 so that you can obtain an accurate picture of your liability early.
Look to see whether any planning may mitigate the liability, for example:
  1. Bring a family member into the business.
  2. Invest in more plant and machinery.
  3. Incorporate the business.
  4. Put more money into your pension scheme.
Check with us that you are properly prepared for Making Tax Digital for Income tax which starts in April 2023. 
The change will mean no overlap profits will arise going forward.
The consultation is open until the end of August and can be responded to here.
Added By: Sharon Worger on 03rd Aug 2021 - 17:05
Number of Views: 54
Got A Question?

If our news items leave you with a question you need answering, let us know using one of the following:

  1. Call us on 01252 522221
  2. Email us
  3. Use our enquiry form
  4. Use the comments form below

We're happy to help.